Windows 10 has attracted the attention of a lot of people since its release. This is not only because the new features and improvements it brings, but also due to its drawbacks, for example, dropping Windows Media Player; it’s definitely a big blow for those Windows Media Center fans. This post will focus on the Windows Media Center related issues.
Many users are accustomed to using Windows Media Center (WMC) on their computer for playing videos or doing other things. That’s why they are reluctant to upgrade their system to Windows 10 or want to roll back to the previous system after the upgrading. Microsoft's move of discarding Windows Media Player in Windows 10 has made many people annoyed. (Windows Media Center Windows 7 is still available. If you’re not clear, please click here to figure out if you have Windows Media Center or not.)
Can You Install Windows Media Center on Windows 10
Some users are reluctant to use Windows 10 since Microsoft has removed the Windows Media Center (WMC) center for Windows 10 and there's no official way to get it back. However, users can still install a custom version of Windows Media Center on Windows 10 or choose from the alternatives (such as Kodi). How to install Windows Media Center for Windows 10 (WMC for Windows 10)? The steps will be displayed later.
Attention: you’re advised to use tools from MiniTool Solution when disk error appears or data get lost on Windows 10.
Whether you should upgrade to Windows 10 or not?
Windows 10 Media Center vs. Windows Media Player:
- Actually, Windows Media Center is like the big brother of Windows Media Player; it includes the basic function of Media Player (the playback functionality) and some additional features (TV tuner and recording support).
- What’s more, the media management options of Windows Media Center are much better and reasonable than Windows Media Player.
How to Install a Custom Version of Windows Media Centeron Win10
Warning: Before the installation, you are highly suggested to make a backup of your system for security reasons by using MiniTool ShadowMaker. I think this step is essential though many people have claimed that they did not run into any issues when installing/removing the custom version of Windows Media Center from their computer. After all, accidents always happen in an instant and it will be too late to regret at that time.
If you find some significant files disappeared Windows 10, you'd better get help from this post:
5 Steps to Install Windows Media Center on Windows 10
How to install Windows Media Center on Windows 10 manually:
- Download the Windows Media Center zip file.
- Extract the zip file to your Windows 10.
- Run batch files in Command Prompt with administrative privileges to install blue skin/green skin of WMC.
- Close the window when the installation is completed.
- Try to open Windows Media Center on your Windows 10 computer.
Step 1: download the most recent version of WMC from the developer website (since the site is in French, you may in need of translation service).
- You may need to check the installation category on the site in order to get the latest updates. The most recent version I find is WMC 8.8.4 at the time of writing.
- Since the custom WMC is not officially supported by Microsoft, you need to download it from an unofficial source. If you don’t trust it, you should get a reliable antivirus program to scan it for viruses (how to recover files deleted by the virus).
Step 2: the archive should be extracted to your local system once you finish the downloading.
Step 3: after that, you should run the following batch files (to know the exact usage, you may right click on the file and choose Edit).
- Right click on the cmd and choose Run as administrator from the context menu. This step is to test the permissions and privileges.
- Right click on the cmd/InstallerBlue.cmd/InstallerGreen.cmd, and also choose Run as administrator. This step is to install Windows Media Center on the device, and it will work when there’s no error in the batch file test.
Step 4: all installation steps will be listed by WMC in a Command Prompt window. If nothing goes wrong, the installation will be finished as expected. Please do not close the Command Prompt window until you see the message Press any key to exit.
Step 5: you can now openWindows Media Center from your Start Menu Windows 10.
By the way, you can also recover deleted and lost files with the Command Prompt tool.
Now, you can get started with Windows Media Center.
How to troubleshoot if there’s any problem during the installation of WMC:
- Run the cmd file again.
- Reboot your device.
- Run cmd/InstallerBlue.cmd/InstallerGreen.cmd file again.
In addition, please remove any leftover bits if you have installed Windows Media Center previously.
How to uninstall WMC:
Please note that there is also an uninstaller script in the WMC, which allows you to remove the program again from your system when you regret; it will cancel all the changes made to it in the installation process.
You just need to do 2 things if you want to cancel the changes:
- Right click on the cmd.
- Choose Run as administrator and wait.
You should recover permanently deleted files on Windows 10if they are deleted by mistake.
Windows Media Center Alternatives
Microsoft removed Windows Media Center from Windows 10, but don’t worry if you can’t get it back. There are some popular alternatives to Windows Media Center on Windows 10 (or Windows 8). The Windows 10 Media Center replacement list is in no particular order.
- XBMC/Kodi: Kodi is the new name for XBMC; it is believed to be the first choice of many people to replace Windows Media Center.
- Plex: Plex can be served as a media server and player perfectly. With easy setup, this alternative offers support to other devices by using a mobile app.
- Emby: Emby seems to a very excellent choice in terms of media center apps; it supports re-encoding on the fly as long as there is a proper PC. Besides, it owns many merits, such as live TV streaming.
- MediaPortal: the biggest advantages of MediaPortal are – free and open source; a full TiVo-style PVR is included to support recording TV. Besides, there are many plugins and skins for you to choose.
- JRiver MediaCenter: though you need to pay for $49.98 for a single license of JRiver MediaCenter, it is still your premium option. It provides support for audio, video, and photos; in the meantime, you can enjoy the network support for DLNA devices as well, which is attracting to some strong reviews.
Installing a custom version of Windows Media Center or considering a Windows 10 Media Center replacement, it’s up to you!
Are you suffering from low speed or low disk space problems on Windows 10? Do you want to optimize Windows 10 performance? If yes, please read this page to get help:
Like any other programs, the Windows Media Center runs into problems now and then. After reading this part, you’ll know how to troubleshoot Windows Media Center.
4Steps to Repair Windows Media Center
You can make use of the Windows built-in repair tool to fix problems in WMC:
- Open the Control Panel by the way you prefer; for instance, you can type control panel to search textbox (on the taskbar) and choose Control Panel (Desktop app) from the search result.
- Select Programs in the Control Panel window when the items are viewed by Category and then find Programs and Features in the Programs window.
- Browse the programs list and select Windows Media Center.
- Click on the Repair button to install a new copy of Windows Media Center completely for covering your current copy.
The new and functional copy is able to replace the damaged or corrupt program files with new files.
How to fix corrupted files Windows 10?
How to Reset Windows Media Center
Generally, resetting or reinstalling is able to correct the issues occurred in any programs. Now, I’m telling you how to repair the Media Center by resetting it.
- Repeat step 1 to step 2 mentioned in the Repair Windows Media Center part.
- Choose to Turn Windows features on or off and scroll down to find Windows Media Center.
- Uncheck Windows Media Center and click on the OKbutton.
- Repeat the above steps to check Windows Media Center again and click on the OK button to confirm.
You may also try to fix the error by resorting to Windows Media Center update. Here’s a cumulative update available for Windows Media Center Windows 7.
Recover Deleted Windows Media Center Files
To retrieve deleted files easily from your PC, you need a great tool: MiniTool Power Data Recovery.
You only need to finish some easy steps to get back your lost Windows Media Center data.
Step 1: get MiniTool Power Data Recovery from a reliable link; please store it to the drive that doesn’t include lost data.
Step 2: run the setup program by double clicking on it. Then, finish installing the data recovery software by following the instructions.
Step 3: launch the software to see its main interface. Then, select This PC from the left sidebar.
Step 4: pick out the drive that holds your lost data from the list in the right-hand panel. If you can’t confirm the drive used to store the Windows Media Center files, you can open Windows Media Center to check.
Step 5: double click on the target drive to perform a full scan on it. Then, wait for the scan.
Step 6: browse the scan result and check all the Windows Media Center files you need. Then, click on the Save button to choose a storage path for them and click on the OK button to confirm.
Step 7: wait for the data recovery to complete automatically.
How to Fix Error Code 0x80070005
If you don’t have the proper permissions on Windows 10, you’ll receive the error code 0x80070005 (Temp files access is denied). How to deal with the error code 0x80070005 at this time? There are some useful ways to fix the error.
Way 1: perform System Restore.
- Type system restore into the search box.
- Select Create a restore point from the search result.
- Click on the Configure button in the System Protection tab.
- Check Turn on system protection and then decide the Disk Space Usage by dragging the slider.
- Click on the OK button to confirm.
- Open the System Properties dialog box again.
- Click on the System Restore…button.
- Click on the Scan for affected programs button.
- Click on the Nextbutton.
Don’t be anxious if files are lost after System Restore.
Way 2: restart the Windows Media Center services.
- Open the Control Panel by the way you prefer.
- View by Small icons and select Administrative Tools.
- Double click on the Servicesoption.
- Scroll down to find Windows Media Center Receiver service.
- Right click on it and choose Properties.
- Click on the Log Ontab.
- Select Local System account.
- Click on the Applybutton.
- Click on the OK button on the Services warning message.
- Restart the computer.
- When the computer is turned on again, please repeat the same steps for Windows Media Center Scheduler Service.
Way 3: reinstall Windows Media Center.
- Open Control Panel.
- Select Programs.
- Click on Programs and Features.
- Finish step 3 and step 4 mentioned in the Repair Windows Media Centerpart.
- Follow the Installation Steps mentioned in previous content to install Windows Media Center again.
Windows Media Center is similar to Windows Media Player, but it has more functions (play TV through TV Tuner, watch & record live TV, DVD Player, old MPEG-2 video support, and so on). Considering that it is not a media player as popular as expects, Microsoft finally decides to remove it from Windows 10 systems. It’s sad news for some people, especially those who are huge fans of this app.
But do you really need to choose between Windows Media Center and Windows 10? Of course not; you are able to keep the Windows Media Center on your Windows 10 device by installing a custom version. In addition, for users who are not so keen on it, they can turn to the Windows Media Center alternative.
Apart from this, the above content introduces different solutions to fix the Windows Media Center errors: repair WMC, reset WMC, recover lost WMC files and fix error 0x80070005. You must choose a suitable workaround when you run into Windows Media Center problems.
Some users are reluctant to use Windows 10 since Microsoft has removed the Windows Media Center (WMC) center for Windows 10 and there's no official way to get it back. However, users can still install a custom version of Windows Media Center on Windows 10 or choose from the alternatives (such as Kodi).What is Windows Media Player question answer? ›
Windows Media Player (WMP) is the first media player and media library application that was developed by Microsoft for playing audio, video and viewing images on personal computers running the Microsoft Windows operating system, as well as on Pocket PC and Windows Mobile-based devices.How do I download Windows Media Center on Windows 10? ›
- Step One: Download the Unofficial Windows Media Center Installer. RELATED: How Do I Know if I'm Running 32-bit or 64-bit Windows? ...
- Step Two: Install Windows Media Center. The downloaded archive is a . ...
- Step Three: Run Windows Media Center.
Windows Media Center (WMC) is an all-around media solution developed by Microsoft meant to bridge the living room media environment to the PC experience. Through WMC, users are able to watch and record live TV shows and play music and other media saved on the hard drive or other attached storage devices.What replaced Media Center? ›
- PART 2: Top 6 Best Windows Media Centers for Windows 10 Alternatives.
- PlayerFab All-In-One [Advanced Version of DVDFab Player 6] DVDFab Player 6. Kodi. Emby. Plex. MediaPortal.
- XBMC. ...
- Plex media player. ...
- Buy. ...
- Media portal. ...
- Myth TV. ...
- VLC. ...
- KM player. ...
Media is the plural form of medium. It describes any channel of communication. This can include anything from printed paper to digital data. In general, media refers to television, radio, newspaper, internet and other forms of communication.What happened to Windows Media Player in Windows 10? ›
Good news, Windows Media Player is alive and well in Windows 10 and you can find it quick and easy. Please note, Windows 10 Enterprise and Windows 10 Pro LTSB (Long Term Service Branch) editions do not include Windows Media Player. Windows 10 LTSB editions are normally available to volume license customers.How do I fix Windows Media Player problem? ›
- Click the Start button and type system restore.
- Select Create a restore point, and then in the System Properties pane, select System Restore.
- Follow the prompts to select the restore point just before the round of updates that seemed to trigger the problem.
A year before the launch of Windows 8, then-Windows boss Steven Sinofsky justified the decision to leave out Media Center by citing economics and low usage. Today, usage of Windows Media Center is "infinitesimal," as measured by Microsoft's automatic telemetry.
Windows Media Center.
|Windows Media Center on Windows 8.1.|
|Website||Last archive.org copy of defunct full site Current support.microsoft.com article|
There has been no secret about why Media Center was dropped. It's a simple question of demographics and cost. Microsoft sees the user base as vanishingly small and the costs of maintaining the program correspondingly high. It's no longer a profitable proposition.Is Media Center the same as library? ›
Media Centers vary from district to district, but they tend to be a replacement of the old library or a compromise between a partial library and place for technology research to occur.Can I disable Windows Media Center? ›
To disable WMC, click on Start, Control Panel, Programs and Features. On the left-hand side of the window should be "Turn features on or off".Does Media Center mean library? ›
School library media center, school library, media center, library media center, and library information center are used interchangeably in the profession to identify the physical facility where a broad range of resources and activities under the direction of a professional, certified school librarian are available to ...What is a modern media center? ›
A modern media center goes beyond the static repository of information to a dynamic, active space that supports content creation, collaboration and personalized learning.Why do we need media center? ›
Media centers offer a natural place of quiet for students to decompress. It's no wonder students enjoy taking the time to sit and read their favorite books or listen to their music without outside distractions. A media center can provide a student with a place to go in between their activities for the day.What is the purpose of a media center? ›
a library, usually in school, that contains and encourages the use of audiovisual media and associated equipment as well as books, periodicals, and the like.Can I use an old laptop as a media server? ›
So if you have a laptop lying around that you do not use anymore, you can use it to build your own media server for streaming high-quality movies and TV shows on your devices. You can also use this Plex Media Server as local cloud storage to store and access your photos, videos, and other data.What replaces Windows Mobile Device Center in Windows 10? ›
- Mobile Connect utility software.
- USB Flash Drive compatibility.
- Wifi Remote Access utility.
On the Windows Media Center start screen, scroll to Tasks, select Settings, select TV, and then select Set Up TV Signal. Follow the steps to connect a TV signal, depending on the type of tuner or tuners that the cable is connected to, as well as the type of programming to which you subscribe.What are the 5 types of media? ›
- News media (earned media) News media takes mass media elements and uses them to deliver news to a target audience or the general public. ...
- Social media (shared media) ...
- Web media. ...
- Print media. ...
- Other forms of media.
- Print Media. Print media is the longest type of media to be around. ...
- Broadcast Media. Some examples of broadcast media would be television, radio, etc. ...
- The Internet/Social Media.
PowerDVD for Windows 10 is the best video player on this list because it offers a wide range of format support for practically any video or audio file. It also allows you to play, screencast, or easily share your entire library of photos, videos, and music, as well as Blu-rays, DVDs, and VOB files.What version of Windows Media Player comes with Windows 10? ›
* Windows Media Player 12 is included in clean installs of Windows 10 as well as upgrades to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1 or Windows 7.Can I uninstall and reinstall Windows Media Player? ›
- Click the Start button, type features, and select Turn Windows features on or off.
- Scroll down and expand Media Features, clear the Windows Media Player check box, and click OK.
- Restart your device. ...
- Repeat step 1.
In the search box on the taskbar, enter device manager, then select Device Manager. Select a category to see names of devices, then right-click (or press and hold) the one you'd like to update. Select Search automatically for updated driver software. Select Update Driver.How do I reset Windows Media Player library? ›
- Step 1 – Disable The Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service. First of all, make sure that Windows Media Player is closed. ...
- Step 2 – Delete The Library Database File. ...
- Step 3 – Re-enable The Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service. ...
- Step 4 – Refresh Your Library.
Microsoft will continue to support at least one Windows 10 release until October 14, 2025.Is Windows 10 shutting down 2025? ›
|Windows 10 Enterprise and Education Windows 10 Home and Pro Windows 10 IoT Enterprise||October 14, 2025|
In Windows 10, the new action center is where you'll find app notifications and quick actions. On the taskbar, look for the action center icon. The old action center is still here; it's been renamed Security and Maintenance.Is Windows Media Center and Windows Media Player the same thing? ›
Windows Media Player is a playback application where in you can play music, videos and sync devices. Windows Media Center has all the features of Window Media Player and also has the ability to play Live TV, record TV. Hope this information is helpful.How do I reinstall software center? ›
Re-Install Software Center
Reboot the computer. Log into the computer and check for new Windows Updates. The Configuration Manager Client should be offered as an available update and installed.
INTRODUCTION School Libraries (Media Resource Centre) are libraries attached to school such as pre- primary, primary and secondary schools, they serve to support the learning and teaching of the school children.What is an online media center? ›
An online newsroom (also known as a pressroom, mediaroom, press center or media center) is a website, web page or site section that contains distributable information about a corporation or organization.Where is Media Player library stored? ›
%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Media Player As with any database, information that is stored in the database or the database itself can become corrupted. The Windows Media Player library database can usually recover automatically from database corruption.How do I cancel Media Center? ›
- Click Start, click Default Programs, and click Set program access and computer defaults.
- Click on Custom, and scroll down to Choose a default media player.
- Uncheck Enable access to this program next to Windows Media Center.
RSS (Rich Site Summary) is a format for delivering regularly changing web content. The Library uses it to notify staff and patrons when new content is added to NYPL.org.Is Windows Media Center still available? ›
Windows Media Center.
|Windows Media Center on Windows 8.1.|
|Website||Last archive.org copy of defunct full site Current support.microsoft.com article|
Media centers offer a natural place of quiet for students to decompress. It's no wonder students enjoy taking the time to sit and read their favorite books or listen to their music without outside distractions. A media center can provide a student with a place to go in between their activities for the day.
- Go to Control Panel.
- Select System and Security.
- Select Administrative Tools.
- Select Task Scheduler.
- Expand Task Scheduler Library.
- Expand Microsoft.
- Expand Windows.
- Then Select "Media Center"
A modern media center goes beyond the static repository of information to a dynamic, active space that supports content creation, collaboration and personalized learning.Can I rip a CD with Windows Media Player? ›
Open Windows Media Player. Insert a CD into your CD drive. Maximize the Windows Media Player window so you can see all of the menu options, select Rip settings, and then select the setting you want to change.